High Heels and Training Wheels: DIY Fancy Pants, Two Tone Nails

header1

6.30.2013

DIY Fancy Pants, Two Tone Nails

two toned manicure diy
I am really bad at doing nails. And by bad, I mean awful. The fanciest I've ever gotten is painting one finger a different color. Impressive, huh? It's not that I can't figure it out, it's just that every time I paint my nails it goes a little something like this...

Can I get an amen?? Other than for carrying in groceries, I'm not sure why I even have a left hand. But this is like the idiot's guide to having impressive nails. There's a nice little cheat that even I can do! What's the secret? Tape!





diy two toned manicure
Sinful Colors in 24/7 (pink) / Pure Ice in Kiss Me Here (grey) // NYC Expert Last Top Coat


Well actually, it isn't much of a secret at all. There's tutorials floating all around Pinterest that use tape. However, there's a couple things that they don't tell you (maybe because they just assume we're not complete dumbasses) and I learned the hard way. So I thought that I would so kindly spare you those same nail painting fails.

diy two toned manicure

Word of Advice #1: Ok, do you notice anything about the tape in the picture above? Maybe you do, maybe you don't. I certainly didn't. When you use the perforated edge on the tape dispenser, the tape ends up with a perforated edge. Surprise! Now maybe this is a "duh" piece of advice that I was just too stupid to notice but use scissors instead. That jagged edge is very obviously going to be a jagged edge on your polish line. As obvious as that is, I did not have that foresight and I had to redo my nails.
Word of Advice #2: peel off the tape IMMEDIATELY after each nail. Don't even move on to your next nail before peeling that tape off. Your polish starts to dry and creates a seal over the tape so when you peel the tape, you end up peeling your polish and you have a hot mess. 
Word of Advice #3: make sure the edges of the tape are sealed to your nail. Polish is obviously liquid and liquid can find it's way into the smallest cracks and crevices.
Word of Advice # 4: Top coat, top coat, top coat. Even if you peel that tape off immediately, it is going to lift the edge of your polish at least a little. You need a top coat to seal those edges down so your pretty little manicure doesn't start chipping.
diy two toned manicure
Revlon in Midnight / H&M in Silver Glitter
For those of you who have what I like to call "common sense", this is probably not advice to you at all. But to those of you who are like me and suffer from what I like to call "oversights", don't make the mistakes I did. Happy painting, guys!
 photo Signature.png
You can also find High Heels on Bloglovin'TwitterFacebook and Pinterest!

linking with: Suburbs Mama / YOLO Mondays

5 comments :

  1. This came out great! I might try it this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and easy! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this ASAP!


    Xo, Amanda


    theamandakathryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love, love the glitter ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

So how do you feel about this post? Inspired? Thrilled? Or maybe it was terrible? Well, I hope it wasn't terrible...but let it out anyway!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips